Shimo La Tewa School
The Shimo-La-Tewa High School is located in the Coast Province, Mombasa District, Bamburi Division, Bamburi Location and Shanzu Sub-location. It is built on a 121 acre piece of land located along New Malindi Road about 15kilometres from Mombasa town.
Established in 1932, Shimo La Tewa School in Mombasa District was the giant in Coast province. Shimo La Tewa started as secondary school for Arab boys who successfully completed their primary education at the Arab school Mombasa. There were six dormitories, which could accommodate 120 students only. However, the Arab boys refused to enroll in the school because it was isolated from their parents, surrounded by big forest infested with wild animals and very far from Mombasa town.
It was in September 1939 when the school closed due to the outbreak of the Second World War. The British Army occupied the entire school and made use of the facilities as a hospital. It remained in their hands until 1947.
In 1947, the Coast African Association demanded that it open as a secondary school for Africans since there was none in the Province. The colonial Governor granted the request and the school re-opened as the Coast African Secondary School. Thereafter the school became a dream of every primary and ‘O’ Level student.
The alumni of Shimo La Tewa reign in both private and the public sector. It is the ‘’alma mater’’ of several cabinet ministers past and present like Hon. Noah Katana Ngala, Retired Major Marsden Madoka, the late Karisa Maitha and Shariff Nassir, retired General Staff Major General Kibwana, Ali Chirau Makwere, the former speaker of Parliament Hon. Francis Ole Kaparo, past and present members of Parliament and many other high ranking public figures.
To be the source of knowledgeable, and multi skilled graduates for global service
To produce intelligent, dedicated, and spiritually upright individuals through quality education
Knowledge and Service
P.O. Box v 90163-80100, Mombasa